Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Alexis Walcome's Casting Project

I had chosen the Sharpener to comment on the idea of buying objects that are old, unusable and used as decorative objects. Many people do this when thrifting, like myself, who buys old cameras (in the hopes of them working) but they end up just looking pretty on a shelf.


Ironically, the sharpeners actually can be used still. It's almost as if they cannot run dull or be broken. Also, out of all things that are old and seem to be looked over, the sharpener is an object that is still recognized by many generations and still used in many schools and other institutions. 


By casting this object in wax (mainly out of connivance), I made this object into the decorative, unusable object like many objects of it's time and era. That is why I made it look exactly like the object casted (with few minor changes). 

1 comment:

  1. I know at some point I heard you say you did not like that you painted it. Well I'm really glad you did. It makes it look so much more realistic and visually interesting. At least it does to me.

    ReplyDelete